Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pismo Beach

Last week was crazy busy at work. We had a new therapist start who is more experienced in the therapy part of the job, but I've been at the school for longer than she has so I felt like I was trying to do all my work and show her around and figure out scheduling and try and stay sane in the midst of it all. So all week I debated about whether or not I should go up to Pismo Beach for the weekend to a beach house with some friends. I really wanted to go but was just exhausted from work and stress and the rest. But I decided that if I didn't go I would just sit at home and get some stuff done but wish I had gone. So I decided just to do it.
Friday night I got home from work about 5:15 and met Autumn and Caitlin to drive up there. Traffic was horrible leaving LA. I think it took us a good 15 minutes to get from my house to the 405 freeway which is a total of 6 blocks. But once we got out of LA it wasn't too bad. It was pretty windy about sunset, at least that's what Autumn says to make us think it wasn't her driving! We got up to the beach house about 9:15 and met up with Whitney, Karen and Christy. Sadly Karen had to leave that night to come home to work. For it being a girls weekend we went to bed relatively early that night. But it might have been because we were getting up at 6:00 to hit the tide pools at low tide. But we did stay up late enough to watch a fascinating documentary, Black Hair. Who knew people spent so much money on their hair?
We had fun watching the sea anemones, starfish, crabs, dogs, and birds at the beach. There were only two falls and none of them resulted in people getting too wet. Caitlin decided that sleep was more fun than tide pools so it was just the four of us that went. It was such a peaceful morning with the sun rising that I think I should get up for beach sunrises more often. Probably won't happen though.
Another highlight of the weekend was candy salad. Yes it's just what it sounds like. You take all different kinds of candy (M&Ms, Reese's Pieces, Sour Patch Kids, Swedish Fish, etc.) and put them together in a bowl and just feast. Orange M&Ms, orange skittles, and orange reese's pieces look very similar.
Saturday we hit up three beaches and a farm and I fell in love with the Central Coast. I loved the little farm and farmer's market we stopped at. They had some amazing blueberries and cute little goats. Beach one was in the morning at the tide pools. Beach two was the farthest away. We packed up a picnic lunch and drove out to this beach I forget the name of. We hiked in to the beach and then had our picnic lunch quickly because it was super windy (our footprints were disappearing as we walked because it was so windy). But the coast was beautiful, the water was just so clean and frothy. But we decided that the wind was just too much. So we spent the afternoon at the beach house and walked out to the beach right by there for sunset. Jumping pictures (just like you love them Shana), cartwheels, sand fight were some of the highlights.
Sunday morning we had to make the drive back to LA. As we left and I got to see all the beautiful coastline and the farms and vineyards I thought to myself, why do I live in LA? If only I could settle down in a beautiful Central Coast town and have my land and my house and everything I want. But since it's never been my plan to settle down somewhere like that all alone, I guess I'll have to stay where the people are for now. But some day...






1 comment:

Deanna said...

I could use a beach break right about....NOW!
xoxoxo