Thursday, April 1, 2010

Diamonds in the Roughness

If you couldn't tell from the work update the past few weeks have been kinda rough. Getting up early is not my friend and doing it every day just stinks. Plus by the time I get home from work I have several hours of daylight and no energy to enjoy it. But I've made myself work out a couple of times a week. And it hasn't been all drudgery the past month.

Last week my siblings had their Spring Break and my dad, Laura, and David made the trek from Oregon down here to visit. Well they really visited the extended family more than me because I was working. But Thursday night after work I drove down to Orange County to get together with everyone for a traditional dinner at Yen Ching. Yen Ching has to be one of the best Chinese places around. All the aunts and uncles and cousins who could make it were there plus my grandparents. It was a fun night. Being with my family somehow makes everything better. They're just great to hang out with, talk about medicine, politics and religion (the three Evans family staple topics of discussion) with and a lot of fun. After the festivities we all went back to the grandparents' house and did what we do best, talk about leaving while continue to talk for several hours. About the middle of the leaving process my grandma took me aside and told me that she had been cleaning out her closet and that she had come across a pamphlet she thought might be useful. She then handed me "Dear Abby: How To Be Popular" printed in 1983. The entire pamphlet is basically a how to be popular so people will date you booklet. It contains some of the following gems: Grooming and Healthy Habits, How Do You Dress?, The Friendly Personality, The Overly Friendly Personality, The Art of Conversation, Be an Upper Not a Downer, Shyness: The Number One Problem. And the wonderful summary at the end of the pamphlet which says

The key to being popular with both sexes is: Be kind. Be honest. Be tactful.

If you can't be beautiful be well-groomed, tastefully attired, and KEEP A SMILE ON YOUR FACE.

Be clean in body and mind.

If you're not a "brain", try harder. If you're not a great athlete, be a good sport.

Try to be a stand-out in something. If you can't dance, sing or play an instrument, be good company--a pleasure to have around.

Think for yourself, but respect the rules.

Be generous with kind words and affectionate gestures.

If you need help, ask God. If you don't need anything, thank God."

So from the mouth of Dear Abby you have it--all you need to be popular.

No comments: