Thursday, February 4, 2010

Jury Duty and Job Hunting

Two of most monotonous things ever are jury duty and job hunting. I have had the privilege of doing both this week. Now I understand that having a jury system is supposed to be all fair and great and everything, but it is so inefficient. I spent 2 days at the courthouse only to be told that I was excused. It was a criminal trial so both the prosecution and defense got to excuse over 20 jurors if they wanted to. Luckily for me they only used about half of them and it still took 2 days. There's gotta be a more efficient way. I got to sit in the court room for 2 days and listen to all sorts of facts about the other jurors that I never wanted to know. I heard the juror questions so many times that I could ask them myself.
Occupation: Occupational Therapist
Spouse: No
Any encounters with the criminal justice system: Someone tried to break into my house while I was home. No I did not have to testify. Yes I did file a police report.
Any relatives or friends in law enforcement: Well yes I do have a good friend in the LAPD.
Any connection to an attorney: I worked for an estate attorney for 6 months. He did not take cases that would go to trial
Is there anything about this case that would cause you to not judge this case fairly: No
Do you promise to follow the law in the way outlined by the judge: Yes.

Imagine listening to those questions for a day and a half. Luckily I was one of the 20 or so people who didn't even make it to the jury box and got to leave once the jury was picked.
It was a good thing I got to leave since I had 2 job interview this week. Both were in pediatric occupational therapy settings. I think they went well. I have concerns about both of them and will have to do some serious thinking about what I want for my career. Maybe I can figure that out in all my spare time.

But for now I'm enjoying playing tennis during the day, hanging out with friends who happen to not have to work while I'm home, finishing my quilt, putting off going to the grocery store, actually going to the grocery store, visiting friends at Disneyland and more.

No comments: